Riefler tank observatory regulator
Regarded as the ultimate in precision horology, the Tank regulator by Riefler was standard equipment for most Observatories around the globe. No.150 was constructed in 1905 and supplied to The Cape of Good Hope Observatory in 1907 where it served for many decades. It sits on a massive cast iron wall bracket with a copper tank and original glass dome protecting the movement. It has Riefler’s patented double escape wheel with spring impulse escapement. The electric remontoire re-sets approximately every 28 seconds. The movement has contacts for supplying either seconds or minute pulses for slave clocks.